Terms and Conditions
All applicants must note the following Terms and Conditions of application.
A. APPLICATION AND ENROLMENT
1. The enrolment of a new student (hereafter called “First Enrolment”) will only be taken into consideration and processed by the International School of Brussels (ISB), (hereafter “ School”) upon receipt of (a) a completed online application form which is available on the School’s website www.isb.be, (b) the documents requested in the Application Form, and (c) the payment of the fee (hereafter called “Application and Capital Fee”). The amount of the Application and Capital Fee is published on the School’s website or is available upon simple request.
2. The requested start date and grade of the new student must be indicated on the Application Form. The start date can be at the beginning of the school year (which typically starts the last week of August and ends the last week of June (hereafter “School Year”) or at any other date during the School Year (hereafter “Start Date”). The School will decide the grade and Start Date of all new students.
3. The School has no obligation to admit a student who applies for a First Enrolment and is not obliged to justify its decision not to admit a student.
4. The First Enrolment is subject to availability. A waiting list is established when the School is unable to determine if a place will be available on the requested Start Date. If a place is not available 60 days after the requested Start Date, the parents may cancel the application and request the full refund of the Application and Capital Fee for the student on the waiting list.
5. The First Enrolment is conditional upon parental submission of all required information and documentation, including the student Health and Permission Form.
6. The enrolment of a student constitutes an agreement with the School valid for a complete School Year (hereafter “Enrolment Agreement”) or the remainder thereof depending on the Start Date.
7. The School has the right to suspend the student from attending School for a period of not more than 30 calendar days if the student does not respect the School’s rules of behaviour as mentioned in the Student Handbook or similar documents. The suspension does not affect the Enrolment Agreement or the parent’s financial obligations towards the School.
8. The School reserves the right to suspend the student from attending School if requested medical and permission information is not annually submitted within the communicated designated time by the student/the parents. Suspension will be terminated upon receipt of this information.
9. During a School Year, the School has the right to terminate the Enrolment Agreement with immediate effect, leading to the immediate exclusion of the student from the School, in case the student/the parents do not respect the School’s rules of behaviour as mentioned in the Student Handbook or similar documents. The notice shall be given in writing without any recourse to the courts and without any damages whatsoever to the student/the parents.
10. In the case of students receiving Learning Support, as described on the School’s website, the School has the right to early terminate the Enrolment Agreement without any recourse to the courts and without any damages whatsoever to the student/the parents should: (a) the parents fail to disclose information relevant to learning and emotional issues that affect the learning abilities of the student; (b) the parents fail to collaborate in following up the recommendations of the School (i.e. assessments, counselling, additional therapies); (c) the School considers it is no longer able to meet the student’s needs. In each of the aforementioned cases the decision to terminate the Enrolment Agreement is taken by the School. The School will inform the parents in writing providing a notice period of not less than 3 months.
11. Students who were enrolled for the previous School Year are enrolled automatically, subject to updating of the child’s Health and Permission Form, for the next complete School Year with all consequences related thereto. In case the School or the student/the parents decide not to enrol the student for the next School Year, a written notification has to be sent to the other party not later than May 15 of the preceding School Year. Such decision by the School or the student/the parents will not give rise to any damages whatsoever.
12. The Application and Capital Fee must be paid immediately when applying for the First Enrolment. If the application is withdrawn, 50% of the Application and Capital fee will be refunded except as indicated in Article 4 of these General Terms and Conditions.
13. The enrolment of a student for a particular School Year obliges the student/the parents to pay the tuition fees applicable for that particular School Year (hereafter “Tuition Fee”). The Tuition Fee is specified in the Tuition Fees Schedule, published on the School’s website.
14. The Tuition Fee covers all curricular activities that are a compulsory element in the student’s learning programme. The School reserves the right to modify the Tuition Fees should this prove to be necessary to reflect increased costs. Any modification of the Tuition Fees shall be published on the School’s website and the student/the parents will be notified in writing.
15. If the invoice related to the Tuition Fees is sent to the student/parents before the beginning of the School Year, the invoice must be paid within 30 calendar days of the invoice date. Nevertheless, if the invoice is sent less than 30 days before the Start Date, the invoice must be paid before the Start Date. Invoices related to the Tuition Fees sent after the Start Date must be paid immediately.
16. For a particular School Year, the entire Tuition Fee for students enrolled for that School Year is due by the student/parents. If the Start Date of the student during a particular School Year falls on a day in a particular month, The Tuition Fee for the entire month will be due.
17. If the student leaves the School before January 31 of the School Year concerned (other than for one of the reasons as set out in Article 7, 9 and 27), the School will reimburse 25% of the Tuition Fee and of the Bus Fees where applicable to the student/the parents. The student/parents must give written notice of such decision to the School at least thirty (30) calendar days prior to the last day of attendance of the student.
18. In the event of interruption of the School services due to (a) unsafe weather conditions, (b) force majeure, or (c) any decision of any federal or regional government or authority to partially or entirely close the School, there will be no refund of the Tuition Fees/Other Fees.
19. In case the student/the parents sign up for services offered by the School that are not a compulsory element in the student’s learning programme, (such as but not limited to the bus service, extra-curricular field trips, after-school extra-curricular activities programme, lunch service, etc), the student/the parents agree to pay the fees related thereto (hereafter “Other Fees”).
20. The amount of the Other Fees and the sign-up procedure for these additional services are published on the School’s website or available upon simple request. The sign-up procedures and the amount of the Other Fees are hereby accepted by the student/the parents.
21. Invoices related to the Other Fees must be paid immediately. In case students/parents signed a Single European Payments Area (hereafter “SEPA”), the invoice related to the Other Fees will be submitted to the bank for payment within five (5) calendar days following the invoice date.
22. In case the student/the parents sign up for the lunch service the student will be given a lunch card. Lunch cards are distributed to the students by the divisional offices at the start of the School Year. The lunch card will only be valid if the SEPA form is duly completed and signed.
23. In addition to the Tuition Fee for a particular School Year, the School has the right to charge a capital levy (hereafter “Capital Levy”). The Capital Levy is specified in the Tuition Fee Schedule on the School’s website and provided to the student/parents upon first request. The Capital Levy is payable per student regardless the Start Date of the student during the School Year. The Capital Levy is non-refundable and non-transferable.
24. By accepting these General Terms and Conditions, the student/parents accept that the School will only send electronic invoices.
25. After the due date for payment the unpaid invoices of the School shall automatically carry an interest at the interest rate provided in Article 5 of the Law on combating late payments in commercial transactions of 2 August 2002 without any prior written notice from the School. A fixed indemnity of 125 EUR for administration costs for each unpaid invoice shall also be due to the School.
26. The School reserves the right to suspend the student from attending School if the student/the parents failed to pay the Tuition Fees, provided that no payment was made within one month after a written notice was sent by the School to the student/the parents.
27. The School has the right to terminate the Enrolment Agreement with immediate effect, without any recourse to the courts and without any damages whatsoever to the student/the parents if the student/the parents fail to pay the Tuition Fees or Other Fees, provided that no payment was made within one month after a written notice was sent by the School to the student/the parents. The termination of the Enrolment Agreement will result in the immediate exclusion of the student from the School.
28. Upon request of the parents the School accepts to send the invoice for Tuition Fees and/or Other Fees due to the School to a third party such as the employer of one of the parents. Notwithstanding any payment arrangements between the parents and third parties, the parents remain jointly and severally liable for the full payment of all invoices.
C. FINANCIAL AID
29. The School provides a special programme that offers students/the parents the possibility to apply, if certain criteria are met, for a reduced Tuition Fee (hereafter called “Financial Aid”).
30. The criteria and the application procedure for Financial Aid are published on the School’s website and are also available upon simple request. The criteria and the application procedure are hereby accepted by the student/the parents.
31. Applications for Financial Aid must be made together with the application for a First Enrolment.
D. DATA PROTECTION, PORTRAIT RIGHT AND USE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
32. The School holds information about you and your child including but not limited to school reports and examination results, parent and guardian contact details, financial information, and details of student medical conditions. This information is kept electronically on the School’s information management system or manually in filing systems and is only accessible to designated people on a need-to-know basis. We take all reasonable and appropriate measures to protect this information from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. You can at reasonable intervals and at no charge request this personal information, as well as details of how and when this information is used.
33. The School has the right to take pictures and record video content of Students without the prior consent of the parents/students. The School also has the right to use and publish the pictures insofar the use is limited to educational activities and promotion of the School via publications, the School website, social media and other marketing activities. Images will be removed at first request of the student/the parents.
E. APPLICATION OF THE GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
34. These General Terms and Conditions apply from the moment the student/the parents submit an application for a First Enrolment until the student is no longer enrolled in the School and all outstanding issues between the School and the student/his parents related to the student’s enrolment are finally settled. These General Terms and Conditions apply to each Enrolment Agreement entered into between the School and the student/the parents.
35. These General Terms and Conditions as well as the Enrolment Agreements to which they apply will be governed by Belgian law. All disputes related to these General Terms and Conditions and Enrolment Agreements to which they apply, shall be submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Brussels.
36. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision(s) of these General Terms and Conditions shall in no way affect the validity or enforcement of any other provision(s) or any part thereof.